Following are the dark side of such a good Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme:
- High Lock-in Period – This Scheme has very long lock-in period of 21 years. When it is compared to PPF, it does not look attractive. In PPF, lock in period is 15 years as on date.
- Variable Interest Rate – Interest rate on this Scheme is variable from year to year. Current it is very high (9.10%). But it is not fixed and may come down in future. In PPF as well, interest rate is variable from year to year.
- Age limit for Girls – Account can only be opened for girls upto 10 years of age. In FY 2014-15, one year relaxation has been given. PPF account can be opened in any age.
- Max 2 girls – This account can be opened for maximum for 2 girls. This is something Govt. should change. On one hand, Govt. is encouraging girl birth to improve gender ratio whereas on other hand, limiting this facility to two girls only. This is something not acceptable.
- Loan not available – If you need money, say after 10 year, you cannot avail loan facility under this Scheme. This is one of the major disadvantage of this Scheme. Under PPF, you can avail loan facility subject to certain terms and conditions.
- No Private Banks till date – Till date private banks are not allowed to open these types of account. People prefer to go with private banks due to their high service level when compared to public sector banks. Also, now a days, people does not have time to stand in long queue in banks. Whereas PPF account can be opened in some selected private banks.
- No Premature Withdrawal – Premature withdrawal is not allowed except in case of death of girl child. Whereas in case of PPF, premature withdrawal is allowed for some specific purposes subject to certain conditions.
- Now the biggest drawback. No interest is credited from 15th Year to 21st Year from the date of opening of account.
Must Read : Sukanya Samriddhi Account – Features