Govt. of India has introduced an online system called DigiLocker for Indian Citizens having Aadhaar No. This can be used for the purpose of storing your documents (scan and upload) and e-documents (through a URI link) issued by Govt. organizations/ agencies across the country. Currently it is running under Beta version. Purpose of using this system is to reduce use of physical documents and to reduce administrative cost of Govt. DigiLocker can be accessed by visiting to any of the following link:
These are those persons who/ which uses its services. Following are the stakeholders currently:
- Resident Individual/ Citizen of India (Residents) – An Indian citizen having aadhaar no. can only access this services. He can upload his Govt. issued documents to the website. He will also get link to e-documents uploaded by Govt. Agencies (Issuer).
- Govt. Agencies (Issuers) – These are those agencies which issues documents. For example, Income Tax Dept. issues PAN card, Election Commission of India issues Voter-ID card, Traffic Police issues Driving License, etc.
- Requestors – You can share your documents with requestors registered for this service. For example if you are applying for an Govt. exam online, you can share link of your e-document there instead of uploading documents to their sites. For example, if you are applying for UPSC exam and you share link (URI link) on their website instead of uploading the documents. UPSC will become requestor in this case and it will ask your permission to your e-document (which you have shared and will also need permission from DigiLocker to access that specific e-document. After all this permission, it will be able to access only that e-document for which you have shared link.
Type of Documents
- Uploaded Documents – These are physical documents you are having right now. You can scan upload only Govt. issued documents to the DigiLocker.
- Digital Documents (e-Documents) – These are those documents which are issued in XML format by Govt. agencies and URI link is shared with you. For example, in future, while issuing PAN card to you, they will also generate a URI link which will appear in you ‘My Certificate’ page. You can then use this URI link to share it with requestors.
|DigiLocker – After Log in|
Only documents having size upto 1 MB can be uploaded currently. Pdf, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp and gif file types are supported.
Key Features of DigiLocker
- Digital Locker of each person is linked to their Aadhaar number.
- 10MB of free space in the locker to securely store documents and store links (URI) of Govt. department or agency issued e-documents. The storage space allocation will be increased to 1GB in subsequent release.
- Only Govt. issued documents can be uploaded.
- ‘eSign online service’ to digitally sign the documents online without using dongle.
- Sharing of e-documents (not uploaded documents) online with any registered requester agency or department.
- One can download eAadhaar from the website.
- List of issuers which have issued e-documents to residents and list of requesters which have accessed resident’s documents.
How to Sign up for this service?
To sign up, you need to go to any of the links given above and select sign up option. Enter your Aadhaar No. and you will receive OTP on your mobile which will help you in signing up process. Please make sure your mobile no. is registered with Aadhaar. If not, you should first visit to any of the centre of Aadhaar to get your mobile no. registered.