PAN is an alphanumeric number which contains 10 characters. First five characters are alphabetic, then 4 are digits and the last one is also alphabetic.
It can be divided into five parts:
- First three characters are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ.
- Fourth character of PAN represents identity of PAN owner as follows:
- C — Company
- P — Person (Individual)
- H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
- F — Firm (Partnership Firm, not proprietor)
- B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
- A — Association of Persons (AOP)
- L — Local Authority
- J — Artificial Juridical Person
- G — Government
T — Trust
- Fifth character represents first character of the PAN holder’s last name in case of Individual and first character of name in other cases like company.
- Next four characters are sequential number running from 0001 to 9999.
- Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic and it is check digit depending one the first nine alphanumeric characters. Calculation of check digit is still not know.
Must Read : Why PAN?
Follow : Google Plus